About PERSPEX® Acrylic Brand
The what, who and how....
Here at Perspex International HQ, we pride ourselves on our acrylic sheet products; with many versatile fabrication and design potentials, endless application areas and our innovative advancements in made-to-order colours, textures and effects.
Established in 1934, “PERSPEX” is a registered trademark of Perspex International, one of the world’s leading producers of acrylic sheet products. With world-class research, development and manufacturing facilities based in the UK, partnered with a reliable distribution network that covers the globe; we are able to deliver a constant stream of inspiring solutions to you quickly, efficiently and securely.
Since December 2018, Perspex International Ltd. is a member of 3A Composites, an independent division of Schweiter Technologies AG, headquartered in Steinhausen, Switzerland.
PERSPEX® acrylic was first used in the production of aircraft canopies, and through constant innovation, we’ve created a huge range of products that can be applied to many different aspects of design.
Here we trace the history of PERSPEX® from the earliest days till the birth of a new company, Perspex International Ltd.
- The name “PERSPEX”, from the Latin “to see through”, was invented in the early 1930s when ICI scientists discovered new acrylic material.
- On November 16th, 1934 the name "PERSPEX" was registered as the trademark for ICI’s acrylic sheet, thus establishing the material officially and getting it on its course.
- In 1936 commercial production of PERSPEX® began
- In March 1938 the Plastics Group of ICI was formally constituted
- During the war period, demand for PERSPEX® as a glazing material for aircraft shot up and a new plant was found in Darwen, Lancashire at Orchard Mill
- In 1942, a small research department began work at Darwen and a year later a special laboratory was built
- In 1962 new plant was installed in the eastern half of Orchard Mill
- By 1984, capacity for PERSPEX® acrylic and related products had grown to nearly 35,000 tonnes, with ICI as Europe’s leading producer of cast acrylic sheet exported to nearly 100 countries – indeed one of the largest producers in the world.
- In 1999 ICI sells ICI Acrylics division, Ineos Acrylics formed
- 2001: Renamed as Lucite International
- 2009: Lucite International was acquired by Mitsubishi Rayon Company Ltd (MRC)
- 2018: Lucite International agreed to sell its European cell cast acrylic Sheet and Composites business plus its separate UK distribution company, Perspex Distribution Ltd. (PDL), to the Swiss firm Schweiter Technologies AG, owner of 3A Composites. On completion of the sale, the cell cast Sheet and Composites business formed a new company, Perspex International Ltd., a member of 3A Composites.
Over 80 years ago, a piece of acrylic caused a revolution in the world of design. Like so many of the best inventions, its simplicity was what made it so brilliant. It was strong. It was clear. You could mold it, heat it, cut it and bend it. It offered a whole new world of opportunities to designers from all industries and made the PERSPEX® brand a household name almost overnight…
Since then, the PERSPEX® brand has established an envious reputation as one of the most creative, flexible and eye-catching materials in the market for corporate imaging and signage. But the application for this product doesn’t stop there, the possibilities are endless: from aquariums to architecture, boats to bathrooms, fashion to furniture, glazing to gliders and shop signs to shelving.
PERSPEX® is our passion. Our people are our foundation.
Our mission is to influence and support the talents of our highly-advanced & innovative teams, from the production plant operators to our customer service, R&D and everyone else in between.
We ensure that the premium acrylic sheet material we produce is of consistently high quality; paired with our commitment to provide you with a professional and personable level of service that you can depend on.
Our first priority is to meet the needs of the most important part of our business – you, our customers. We are all about absolute dedication and understanding of your bespoke needs. We encourage working side by side to achieve the best possible outcome and exceed expectations wherever and whenever possible.
We are not just a manufacturer; we are a solution provider:
Do you need a bespoke colour?
Our in-house colour experts can match almost any colour or create new bespoke hues tailored to your requirements.
Need some Technical advice?
Our team of technical experts has extensive experience in acrylic, from recommending fabrication techniques to giving advice on installing, lighting and cleaning the finished product and beyond.
Need some Marketing support?
Get in touch with our marketing team to collaborate directly with the PERSPEX® brand; gain extra support with sales tools, events or create innovative tailored promotions to suit your business.
Could your company benefit from some product training tailored to your individual needs?
We regularly hold training seminars with our customers to not only ensure that they get the best out of our products, but that we fully understand their needs too.
Want to work with a reliable brand?
From batch-to-batch colour consistency to providing outstanding service, we are renowned for the exacting approach and quality in all that we do.
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
Contact our sales team today to discuss your personal needs…
Potential. Performance. PERSPEX®.
Follow us on Instagram: @perspex_brand
Did you know?
The word “Perspex” comes from the Latin, meaning “to see clearly” or “to see through”
With 92% light transmission PERSPEX® clear acrylic sheet offers better optical clarity than glass
PERSPEX® acrylic has been used in many major feature films including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James Bond, Harry Potter and Thunderbirds
PERSPEX® acrylic was discovered in 1934 by ICI scientists and was first registered as “synthetic resins sold in the form of sheets, rods, tubes and other shaped pieces”